Transit Development Plan Update
Help us shape the future of transit in the region
Draft Plan and Public Involvement Opportunity
The draft Transit Development Plan is now available online here.
The plan makes important short- and long-term recommendations for improving Rapid City’s transit system. To view and discuss the recommendations with the project team, please come to one of our two open houses on Wednesday, January 12th:
- 11:00 AM to 1:30 PM at the Milo Barber Transit Center (333 6th Street)
- 4:00 PM to 6:00 PM at City Hall (300 6th Street)
You can also submit comments via one of the Contacts listed on the Contact page of this website. All comments must be received by January 12.
The Rapid City Area Metropolitan Planning Organization (MPO) is working with Rapid City’s Rapid Transit System (RTS) to develop the Rapid City Transit Development Plan (TDP). This document will provide a vision for transit in the region over the next 5 to 10 years, with an emphasis on future needs and sustainable growth.
The TDP will report existing conditions, public feedback, community needs, and recommendations for how RTS should align services to meet the needs of a growing region. The process is intended to develop recommendations reflective of community needs that can be feasibly implemented within a 5-to-10-year period.
The objectives of the Rapid City TDP include, but are not limited to:
- Evaluating current policies and operations for providing transit services in Rapid City.
- Identifying transit needs of the community.
- Analyzing new service strategies, products, and technologies to provide accessible and convenient transit service to the public.
- Providing the MPO and RTS staff and leadership with goals and recommendations to implement over the course of the next five years, including a financial plan for operational and capital expenditures.